Snacking is a way of life.
The individuals that eat smaller meals or have snacks throughout the day tend to be in better shape and overall be healthier. It’s because they’re keeping the body fueled and thus are not starving for the next meal which can easily lead to overindulging.
Another key reason these individuals are not hangry is because they are eating snacks that are high in protein. Yes, this does play a significant role! Protein is part of the building blocks of life. It plays such a vital part in the body for cell and tissue repair, making enzymes, hormones, and body chemicals. It also plays a large role in the health of your bones, skin, cartilage, blood, and muscles. It’s important that you are getting a good amount of protein in your diet.
Instead of reaching for those carbs and junky snacks that are calorie dense and nutrient poor, reach for something that will help fuel the body. Not sure where to start? Here are 10 high protein snack ideas to try. These snacks are easy to make, are certainly portable, and best of all will leave you satiated.
- Nuts: Nuts are a great source of protein. The best choices are walnuts, almonds, pecans, Brazil nuts, cashews, and pistachios. Look for nuts that are dry roasted or raw; they will have the most benefits. Almonds are a perfect on the go snack that is high in protein.
- Deli Roll Ups: Ever tried having sandwich meat without the bread? Take a couple of slices of turkey breast, ham, or roast beef and roll it up. It is that simple! Throw in a slice of cheese and you have yourself an enjoyable snack.
- Protein Bars: Constantly on the go? Nothing could be easier than throwing a protein bar in your bag. Make sure you choose one that is high in protein, lower in carbs, and that isn’t jammed packed with added sugars.
- Greek Yogurt & Granola: Greek yogurt is very high in protein and will keep you filled for a while. Top it with some of your favorite granola to give it that added crunch and you are good to go. Greek yogurt and granola are a filling and tasting pairing. Add some berries and you are in for a treat!
- Edamame: Also known as soybeans are a tasty choice. Roast those bad boys in the oven with a little salt and you will be a happy and healthy camper.
- Cheese: Who doesn’t love cheese? Choose your favorite and serve yourself a portion. Make sure you check out the serving size since it is calorie heavy.
- Beans: Beans are a wonderful source of protein. They are also extremely versatile. You can season them however you like. They also can be eaten right out of the can or you can cook them. The decision is yours.
- Protein bites: These are all the rage on the internet nowadays. People are making little bites that are protein packed. They usually involve some type of nut butter and a little something else like chocolate chips, oats, dates, etc.
- Homemade Chia Pod: All you need is the milk or non-dairy beverage of your choice, some chia seeds, and a little sweetener. Make them overnight so the chia seeds plump and absorb the liquid and you will have a delicious and healthy snack. You can also add in other ingredients to your liking.
- Apple with Peanut Butter: Cut up an apple into slices and scoop out a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or any nut butter. These two pair wonderfully together and they will deliver an energy boost. Don’t underestimate the power of peanut butter!
Have some favorite high protein snacks that didn’t make the cut? Feel free to share your picks in the comments below.